Over 80 years ago, in the general election held November 8, 1938, the people of Skamania County created the Public Utility District No. 1 of Skamania County to distribute electricity and water to county residents. Concurrent with the formation of the PUD, the people elected Clement Akerman of District 1, J. Chauncey Price of District 2, and Harry J. Card of District 3 to serve as its first commissioners. Following a year of preparation, the PUD opened for business in 1940. That first year 400 customers were served in and around the Stevenson area. Surprisingly, our customers paid over 3 cents per kilowatt hour in 1940, back when bread was a dime a loaf, steak was 25 cents a pound, and gas was 15 cents a gallon. For more information read the first Skamania PUD newsletter published July 1948.