Overhead Power Line Safety
- Accidents involving contact with overhead power lines can damage equipment, cause serious injuries and even death.
- If your job or home improvements require you to work near overhead power lines — installing antennas, pruning trees or operating cranes, for example — make sure you exercise caution at all times and stay over 10 feet away from all overhead lines.
Brochures for how to keep yourself safe:
- Home Electrical Safety (PDF)
- Overhead Power Line Safety for Construction Workers (PDF)
- Overhead Power Line Safety for Agricultural Workers (PDF)
Downed Lines – Call 911 First
Your safety is our first concern. If you see a downed power line:
- Assume it is energized and keep yourself and others away
- Call 911 immediately to report the location of the downed line then call the Public Utility District.
During & After A Storm
Keep away from flooded areas and downed trees, these areas could be hiding an energized power line.
What To Do in the Event of an Outage
Check out the instructions on our Report Outage page for a detailed explanation.